Regrading compilation of KDE application

karan pratap singh wizard.karan at gmail.com
Thu May 26 10:12:07 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Diego Casella ([Po]lentino) <
polentino911 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/5/26 karan pratap singh <wizard.karan at gmail.com>
>

>> 2011/5/26 tushar mehta <mehtatus at gmail.com>
>>
>>> I think i took following suggestion in wrong way:
>>>
>>> 5) now build kde support and then build kdelibs :) but if you want to run
>>> trunk then you need to compile kdepim-libs kdebase-apps  konsole
>>> kdebase-workspace kdebase-runtime
>>>

>> I wonder why people do not use the scripted kde builds?
>>
>> KDE compiles easily most of the time with kdesrc-build , and thus saves
>> all the time for actual development, which people otherwise would have
>> wasted in compiling each component by hand!
>>
>> You can easily add the modules to it which you want to build, and it just
>> builds them for you :)
>>
>> Just my 2 cents! based on my previous experience compiling KDE....
>>

> +1 ;)
>
> However, you know, at least once in life one should try to do it in the
> hard way™ to see how things works :)

I spent 2 days building KDE by hand, it all built successfully without any
errors, and then KDE did not run!
I spent many a hours on #kde-devel, where most of the people asked me why I
had not used a scripted build?
In the end , after all the help I got, I could not get my manually built KDE
to run!

and then I used a scripted build, and it all works like a charm!!!

Building manually sure taught me a little about the inner details which
kdesrc-build hides from you, but It eats up a lot of my time! and to me time
is very precious :)

--
regards,
Karan Pratap Singh