SOC

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Tue Mar 29 04:44:17 CEST 2011

On 03/28/2011 04:00 AM, Виктор Булдаков wrote:
> Dear Mr/Mrs,
>
> my name is Victor Buldakov, I'm a student at Kostroma State
> Technological University, Russia.
> I would like to take part in "Google Summer Of Code-2011" with a
> project on KDE project .
>
> I have an idea to use Symbian mobile phone camera as a webcam.
> This project includes two constituents: a phone-"server"(C++ or
> Python) and Linux-client (Qt, ???, V4L2, OpenCV).
>  Linux-part will be universal, so in the future it will be easily
> supported on any android/iphone/maemo/etc phone.
> It could be  useful to connect phone by USB or Bluetooth.
>
> I think that KDE desktop enviroment is very ergonomic and
> convinient, and I would like to make it more applicable that's why I
> would like to cooperate with you and to work on my project under the
> aegis of your company.
>
> I have worked with svn/git, Python, pyS60, C++. I think that all that
> experience and skills will
> be useful in the development of the project.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Victor Buldakov

Hi Victor,

While interesting, your proposal doesn't demonstrate any value specific
to KDE. As a result it would be hard to justify any mentors from KDE
choosing to mentor this project, much less have it be accepted for a KDE
slot.

If you want to work in the context of KDE, I suggest that you propose
something more concretely KDE-oriented. For instance, writing a KDE
application in the style of Gnome Cheese that is able to (along with
using other webcams and V4L2 sources) use your Symbian camera as a video
source would have more specific value.

--Jeff