Fwd: Season of KDE 2011

Rovin Bhandari rovinbhandari at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:24:10 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rovin Bhandari <rovinbhandari at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 4:34 AM
Subject: Season of KDE 2011
To: kde-devel at kde.org

Hello!

I have applied to Season of KDE 2011. I have a few ideas in mind regarding
the same. Let me brief them for you-
1. *Adding indexing to KFind and/or KFileReplace.*
Adding indexing to these tools will not only make searching extremely fast
when dealing with several gigabytes of data but also make these tools "more
generic desktop search applications". To demonstrate the effectiveness of
indexed search over unindexed search, I have (with the help of a friend)
written a Python-SQLite3 based indexing cum searching application with
command-line-interface. Alhough I have not paid much attention to optimizing
my algorithm in the code, searching is drastically faster than unindexed
search via KFind. Plus indexing makes searching file-contents and meta-tags
feasible without taking any extra time. I can send the code (along with a
previously prepared index-database if required) if anyone would like to
review.
2. *Developing a Direct Connect client for KDE, or vamping up 'valknut'.*
The new DC client should feature ADC protocol as well. It can be built over
the latest LinuxDC++. Plus, a friend recently came up with an idea of making
a DC client supporting SSH protocol. I don't know how relevant the idea is
but would surely like to have some opinion on it.
3. *Extending features from Notepad++ to Kate.*
I have Googled a lot only to draw the conclusion that an equivalent to
Notepad++ does not exist for GNU/Linux. So I thought of extending some of
the best features of Notepad++ to Kate, the most useful (well, according to
me) of them being 'Automatic backing up' of opened files. I have been using
Kate for quite a while and have read some of its code too, so I am pretty
sure that the 'automatic backing up' feature can be incorporated in Kate.

I am ready to work on any of these projects if someone is willing to mentor
them. Also, I am open to suggestions and new ideas.
Kindly review my ideas and drop in a mail if they appeal to you.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanking you,

Rovin Bhandari
Undergraduate student
Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati

Mailing to kde-devel requires moderator permissions, so I am mailing a copy
of the mail here at kde-soc too.