Joystick to keyboard/mouse mapping for KDE, GSoC idea

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Mon Mar 29 23:48:03 CEST 2010

On 3/29/2010 5:34 PM, Sebastian Cardenas wrote:
> Best regards,
>
> First of all, sorry for cross-posting, but the mail is important for both lists.
>
> My name is Juan Sebastian Cardenas and I'm very interested in
> participating whit KDE in the GSoC 2010. I want to propose a proyect
> called "Joystick to keyboard/mouse mapping for KDE".

<snip>

Sebastian,

Thanks for the proposal.

I'd recommend you consider bluetooth and HID profiles as well. In that
case, I believe this type of functionality is usually at the HAL level,
so that overriding it would require either root privilege or the ability
to have HAL read custom keys in your user directory (not sure if it does
or not).

I mention this because of the increasing importance of mobile devices.
Currently you can buy a netbook or Maemo-based device with keyboards
that are not very conducive to playing games. The problem arises when
you either have limited/full USB ports on a netbook or a total lack of
USB ports on a Maemo device, and want to use Bluetooth with a HID
profile to connect a joystick, such as a PS3 SIXAXIS controller (or
compatible) or a Wiimote via Zeemote. In this case, the buttons on the
controller are already mapped to keyboard presses...the trick is
allowing a user (without needing root access, although possibly via
kdesu or the like to elevate privileges) to remap it.

If you can't tell, I've run into this problem myself :-)

(I'm not on kde-games-devel so please CC me on any responses there.)

--Jeff