Community bonding period

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu May 15 09:56:02 CEST 2008

Hello students

All 48 of you are subscribed to this list now and confirmed. We have had no
drop-outs so far and I'd like to keep it like that!

Anyways, the official start of the SoC actual coding is in a week in a half
from now. I suggest you take the time from now until then to do the following
two things:

1) check out from Subversion the code you'll be working on and get it to
build. If possible, start looking into it and understanding how things are
laid out.

2) bond with the community. This is far more important: we are far more
interested in you than in the code you will produce. So, make sure you are
subscribed to the mailing list(s) of the project you'll be working on;
present yourself, tell people what your project will be about, what your
ideas are, etc. Then listen to what people have to say about your project.
Also, pay attention to other discussions going on, as that will teach you a
lot about the workings of the application.

For both of these things, you can count on the help from your mentor. That's
what your mentor is there for. Ask for help if you need to get things
building, to find out which mailing lists you should subscribe to. Use your
mentor to bounce ideas back and forth.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358