SoC 2008 is over - don't forget your final evaluation

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Aug 20 08:32:30 CEST 2008

Szymon Stefanek wrote:
>Hovewer, you've asked, so it looked to me that you're quite unsure
>that people will stay. So maybe I'll give my 2 cents here.
>
>(I hope you will not kick me out of the program for this :P...
>trying to be constructive as I'm in love with KDE since years).
>
>In fact, if you think of it, students are marked 100% Google,
>not KDE. They got money from Google on a credit card with Google
>colors. They got a book from Google. They will eventually get
>a certificate of completion, very likely marked Google, that they can
> attach on the wall of their room/office/anyplace (...or there will be a
> KDE mark in the certificate ?). They will get a t-shirt marked Google
> and finally they were "forced" to get a Google account which they will
> likely continue to use.
>
>They did work for KDE, and many of them probably succeeded in completing
>the project goals which were very likely based on the KDE old developers
>suggestions.
>
>Will they have any KDE mark that they can show to friends/collegues and
>say "hey, I'm part of KDE, you see ?"...

Nobody gets kicked for making suggestions. Don't worry :-)

I approached the subject of staying in order to make you think of whether
you want to stay or not. Just by replying to the thread, it probably
means you care enough that you will probably stay around. I'm more
worried about the students who haven't replied to the thread with
suggestions...

Some of you will stay, some will disappear after the program is over (some
already have). That's life.

So, yeah, I agree that some kind of KDE mark would help. But, then I have
to ask you this: would you be staying because of that mark or because you
really care about KDE? (Mind you: this is all just friendly discussion,
I'm not questioning *your* intentions)

There are other options, though. Like Evgeniy said, you can get a blog
account in www.kdedevelopers.org. Most of you are already aggregated in
planetkde.org as well.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358