SoC 2008 is over - don't forget your final evaluation

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Aug 19 20:01:12 CEST 2008

Mentors and students

I hope Summer (or Winter) was good for all of you. I did get to meet some
of this year's students while at Akademy and it was very nice to put some
faces to the names. Unfortunately, there weren't that many of you around.

Anyways, the official coding period is over. What does this mean?

- for your code? nothing. You can continue working as much as you'd like,
knowing that from now on there are no deadlines. You can also review your
project plan and your ideas, if that's what you want.

- for your evaluation? You should log in to the student or mentor
dashboard on Google's website
(http://code.google.com/soc/student_home.html or
http://code.google.com/soc/mentor_home.html) and fill in your final
evaluation. Without that, you don't get the T-Shirt.

- for your code upload to Google? not yet. That's after Sep. 3rd and
Google will let you know how to do it. You should upload yesterday's
code, regardless of whether you continue working on it or not in the
coming weeks.

If you've worked in a separate, new module, upload the entire new code. If
you instead worked on improving existing code, upload the patches to
Google (using svn diff on all of your commits).

- for your participation in the KDE Community and Project? nothing. You're
KDE developers and you're part of the community. You should stay (if you
want) and keep on working on your code or other parts of KDE. Or
non-coding tasks.

The whole point of Summer of Code is to introduce young students to the
Open Source Way and to KDE in particular, to find new talent for our
contributor base. Regardless of your evaluation results, we want to keep
you. So, tell me: what can we older developers do for you to stay?
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358