Pencils down

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Aug 20 21:19:31 CEST 2007

Hello students

Today is the pencils down date.

Please take a time to read this:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-announce/web/how-to-provide-google-with-sample-code

What you should do:
- create your tarball today
- find out when your submit window is (see the page)
- submit the code in the right days

Let me repeat: you're supposed to send TODAY's code. Not of your submit
window's day.

So, a small FAQ:

- Do I have to commit my code today?

No, actually you don't. The code submission is for Google. Create your tarball
to send to Google with your code as it is today (working, hopefully).

For committing to KDE's servers, don't rush. Do it calmly and in a neat
fashion. Today is Monday, so if you have Binary Incompatible changes, you can
submit today. If you have some porting to do in other modules (i.e., your BIC
changes affect code outside your project), take the week to do the porting
and commit next Monday.

Also remember to respect the KDE 4 Timeline if your code is supposed to ship
with KDE 4.0. Some changes may require approval from module maintainers. I
think the message freeze is in effect starting today.

- Can I work on my project from now until the submit date?

Yes, you can, but you shouldn't send anything of that. KDE, on the other hand,
will be happy for any and all improvements you make.

- But I had some problems doing the work during the last few weeks (dog ate
the hard disk and the local computer store was closed for Summer
holidays...). I planned on using the next two weeks to catch up...

First and foremost, talk to your mentor. We are quite understanding when it
comes to those disasters. Create your tarball today, but keep on doing what
you had planned to do. If the quality of the code in the tarball isn't good,
your mentor may judge you on your effort to catch up.

Mentors are supposed to judge you on your code of today. Exceptional cases may
get some lenience, but we'll analyse each one individually.

- Can I continue working on my project after I submit the code?

Sure you can. Google will have nothing to do with it, but KDE will take your
improvements.

- Can I start working in other parts of KDE that are not my project?

Yes, of course. Technically, you were never restricted to your own project...

- What if I forget to send in the right dates?

Mail the Google support and ask for a new upload window.

- What happens if I don't submit the code at all?

Google will require you to send the final payment back, so don't forget to
upload.

- Do I send my final evaluation with the code?

No. The final evaluation should be submitted before Aug 31st. In fact, it
should be possible to do that today, if Google has enabled the interface
already.

- When will I get my T-shirt?

Who knows... money is dematerialised, so it's easy to send. Sending actual,
physical stuff takes time.

- When will I know if I've been approved?

If you don't know yet, you should talk to your mentor. Students failing should
probably have seen it coming.

- Do you already know who has failed?

No, the mentors have not submitted their evaluations either. So don't come ask
me on IRC.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358