Project tracking at KDE TechBase and blogs

Daniel Molkentin molkentin at kde.org
Fri Apr 13 12:43:03 CEST 2007

Welcome GSoC Students,

let me quicky introduce myself: My name is Daniel Molkentin, and I am on of
the "Maintainers" of KDE TechBase [1], our portal for technical documentation
and interaction. For instance, TechBase holds instructions on how to set up a
convinient KDE 4 development environment, so don't miss it :-)

We created a an area for all GSoC 2007 students on TechBase, so everyone can
track his project's status there. I'd like to ask you to get a TechBase
account and follow the example of Marijn Kruisselbrink, who also already
added a description page [2].

Techbase uses MediaWiki, so everyone familar with Wikipedia should feel home
right away. If you are used to the syntax and semantics, just read the help
page (which includes a link to wikipedias very verbose help pages) or ask at
#kde-soc on Freenode IRC (irc.kde.org aka irc.freenode.org). Add your pages
as subpages of Summer_of_Code/2007/Projects/	 just like Marijn did and add a
small profile to your user page. When you're done, link both from the table
of projects in [1].

This will be a good way to get not only your mentors but also the rest of the
community a good overview about where you are currently at, making it easier
for them to collaborate with you (as opposed to private status mails with
your mentor).

Also, if your project introduces a technology that will be of use for others
(developers, administrators, etc), it would be cool to have a tutorial on
TechBase (rather than a small README file in a place where nobody will look
for it or - worse - nothing at all). This should be one of the last steps in
your projects. If you don't feel confident on where to put it, simply drop me
a mail in private or ask via my Talk page.

Last but not least you feel like blogging (and you really should to get the
crowd raving about the progress of your project), just get yourself a blog at
one of the "usual suspect" blogger sites like blogger.com and notify Chris
Lee (clee on Freenode IRC, clee at kde.org), the maintainer of Planet KDE [2].
He will add your blog to the feeds of Planet KDE, our blog aggregator. If you
don't want to have all your entries show up on Planet KDE, you can simply
create a new category or tag. Usually all modern blogging software offers
seperate feeds for each tag or category, and you can safely pass the
respective feed to Chris and thus only KDE related blog posts on Planet KDE.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, but please CC me, as I am not
subscribed to this list.

Welcome to the KDE community!

Cheers,
  Daniel