KUniqueApplication complains ' Cannot find the D-Bus session server'

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Tue Jun 27 20:57:35 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 20:00, Hui Jin wrote:
> I have following the PORTING-TO-DBUS.txt to build the kdelibs4 and
> kdesupport, for dbus part, I emerge the dbus-0.62 in the system-wide.
>
> $ eix dbus
> * sys-apps/dbus
>      Available versions:  0.23.4-r1 0.50-r1 0.50-r2 0.60-r3 0.60-r4 0.61
> 0.61-r1 Installed:           0.62
>      Homepage:            http://dbus.freedesktop.org/
> applications to talk to each other
>
> I then restart the dbus, and start custom-built kopete:
>
> kopete: ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server
>
> Then I restart the computer, my uptime :-(.
> Still no luck. Any suggestions?

KUniqueApplication reads the environment variables DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS and DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID.  Are these variables set in your KDE session?  Is there a dbus-daemon running as you?  You might try launching your own session bus locally and then running your KDE4 kopete.

eg
$ (do whatever is needed to set up your KDE4 environment)
$ eval `dbus-launch`
(this sets the above variables)
$ kopete

HTH