kdelibs_snapshot compiling

Hui Jin blueangel.jin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 19:43:53 CEST 2006

Hi,

I met that problem last weekend. After I succeeded compiling the code,
I updated my working copy of kdenetwork, and magically, it did not
compile. Here is my procedure to deal with this problem:

Suppose you have installed qt-4, kdelibs before.
  Install dbus 0.62+
  Fetch kdesupport for dbus, build it, and install it.
  Rebuild kdelibs_snapshot. -- 2 hours+
  Rebuild kdenetwork
  Start dbus daemon
  Test your code.

Please read kdelibs4_snapshot/PORTING-TO-DBUS.txt for more details.

Pitfalls:
  If you installed the kdesupport to special path, for example:
/usr/local/KDE-4.0, you may meet some trouble in configuration, the
pkg-config could not find the configure.pc file, export this variable:
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/KDE-4.0/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/qt/4/lib

  While building the kdenetwork, it also complians that dbus/qdbus.h
is not found. I googled for a while,  and found nothing about how to
add custom directory to the header file search path. So I decided to
"go to the dark side":

  Just change the kdenetwork/CMakeLists.txt with hard-coded path:

include_directories ( /usr/local/KDE-4.0/include/dbus-1.0
${QDBUS_INCLUDE_DIRS} ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR} ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}
${KDE4_INCLUDES})

By all means, if I never commit the change, everyone should be hanppy.

Here is another question when launching kopete, it complains dbus
daemon does not launch. That is weired, since I update the system-wise
dbus to 0.62, and restart the service explicitly. I would dig into
this problem, and report in the blog( kopete-qq.blogspot.com) later.

On 6/24/06, Jaison Lee <lee.jaison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/24/06, Full Decent <gmail at phor.net> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to compile a version of kdelibs4_snapshot. I need one
> > before the dbus switch, so that I can begin work on kdebase. Some
> > people have suggested that I stay in head and help port kdebase to
> > dbus. This is great advice in general, this would set me back month or
> > years, since I'm new in KDE.
>
> If you really want to do any sort of KDE4 development, you should keep
> current. In my opinion the dbus stuff is now working about as good as
> anything worked before. I mean, why work with something prior to the
> dbus import when things didn't really work back then either? If you
> really want to get something useable stick to the 3.5 tree.
>
> That said, did you apply the patches in qt-copy before compiling and
> installing it?

Best regards,
Hui Jin