Nokey final report

Leo Spalteholz leo.spalteholz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 08:01:21 CEST 2005

Well.  Nokey is more or less done and has been for a few days.  Try it
out in playground/accessibility/nokey if you like.  Transparency on
Qt3 is a pain, so it's not transparent automatically yet.  If you do
have the composite extention working, you can make the windows
transparent using xcompmgr and transset.  You really need to make it
transparent (about 65% is good) to see how it is supposed to work.
I've done some work porting to Qt 4.0.1, where transparency should
work out of the box.

Of course, Nokey is aimed at people using an eye tracking system to
use their computers, which makes it not very useful for the general
public, but I think it's a pretty neat idea anyway, and is fun to play
with.  Mostly it worked out as I planned, except for the method of
accessign the menus, which I'm not satisfied with.  Unfortunately
limitations in Qt or X11 made it impossible to implement it the way I
wanted to.  Eventually I'll make Nokey support AT-SPI, which will
solve this whole problem much more elegantly.

T'was lots of fun developing this program and being able to
participate in the SoC.  Thanks to my mentors for all your help!
Also, Qt is the best toolkit, bar none (and kdelibs as well).  I've
programmed with lots of different GUI toolkits, but Qt is way above
all of them in terms of logical design and just plain working as I
expect it to.

I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks now (Bicycle trip from Canada,
through Washington, Oregon, and maybe California if we make it that
far).   I hope there aren't any problems with the final forms and
such, cause I won't be back until the 17th or so.

Rock on KDE,

Leo