Status Report for KCall/VoIP

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Sun Jul 24 13:16:57 CEST 2005

Hi,

for now I'd comment on one thing: the configure modules.

On Friday 22 July 2005 12:01, Malte Böhme wrote:
> - plugins can be configured through a kcm (see
> kcalldaemon/src/plugins/backend_sip/kcm)
[...]
> Another thing i am uncertain about is how to configure plugins. the old way
> was to link a library (containing config-widgets) from the daemon into the
> GUI. i found that not a good idea.
> my idea was to ship a kcm with the plugin. any other ideas possible
> pitfalls?

Usually KControl is not the place to configure an application. A better way is
to configure an application from the gui that belongs to the application. The
reason is, that the user shouldn't need to know about any architecture or
framework which makes this difficult to achieve. This is why I think that the
kcm solution is the worst solution usabilitywise, esp. if you add even more
kcm modules for each plugin.

This is the reasoning behind the configlib in the current kcall version. I am
unsure though wether there maybe is a better solution. What is so bad about
sharing a library?
Another idea was, to extend the plugin api, so that the plugin itself
communicates which settings it needs to know and the gui displays this. Maybe
by using an XML description.

Does anyone here have an opinion on this? What do the kopete guys do? If I
remember correctly kpilot also uses the library approach.

Greetings,
eva