Getting a name for a mkfifo

David Faure faure at
Sat Aug 6 17:15:07 CEST 2005

On Saturday 06 August 2005 16:21, Tomas Mecir wrote:
> On 8/6/05, Piotr Szymański <niedakh at> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > What class in KDE do I need to get a decent not taken name for a mkfifo, i'd
> > use KTempFile, but it creates a file there right? Any ideas?
> man 3 tmpnam
> man 3 tempnam

Both say:
       Never use this function.

so don't. Use the name provided by a KTempFile. It still leaves a small race condition
though, since you have to let it delete the file before you can create the fifo,
but well, we do that already in KDE (e.g. KParts::ReadWritePart::prepareSaving).

David Faure, faure at, sponsored by Trolltech to work on KDE,
Konqueror (, and KOffice (