Build systems

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Aug 5 13:14:44 CEST 2005

Leo Spalteholz wrote:
>Hello all.
>Just wondering if all projects in the kde svn have to be built with
>the automake tools.

Yes. At least, if you want your code to be compiled by other people,
including your mentors.

>Right now I'm using qmake which is just a million
>times simpler than the pure evil that is autotools (no, I'm not
>biased, why do you ask? :)
>Should I switch to autotools or is qmake ok too?  So far I'm using
>purely Qt libs.

AFAIK, there's only one project in our repository that is qmake-only, and
that's qca (in kdesupport). That's also the reason I've never built or
installed it.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.