[Kde-silk] Re: Generic disconnected mode for web services

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Mar 27 18:17:25 CEST 2011

Hi Josef,

On Sunday, March 27, 2011 17:07:08 Josef Spillner wrote:
> We're about to finish the Blue Wonder sprint [0] where we discussed several
> strategies on how to advance the social gaming & gaming in the cloud ideas
> which have been floating around for years already.
>
> One of the identified requirements include the ability of users to retain
> data souvereignity. Technically, this translates into a lot of caching,
> disconnected operations and synchronisation. In 2008 I've started to design
> the LokaRest library [1] to provide such facilities in a generic way to web
> service consumption code, although admittedly haven't been actively working
> on it since some time after its creation. One year later, the librest part
> of Silk [2] has been created which seems to be loosely related but seems to
> have a similar track record of activity.

Yes, started but far from finished as far as I know, and currently pretty much
inactive due to lack of manpower.

> For the upcoming OCS sprint, we sort of had the idea to tamp something like
> LokaRest beneath specific service consumption libraries such as Attica for
> OCS access. It would additionally be benefitial to migration scenarios
> where users want to take their data from one provider to another one.

Did you also look at Plasma::Storage, which we're using to cache data of
Plasma::DataEngines for offline access. Plasma:Storage uses sqlite currently
to do its caching, but we've also considered akonadi as storage backend, which
would probably make it easier to make the cached data available to Nepomuk.

> What are the opinions, plans, stakes of the Silk people?

Centralising this is a very good idea :)

I'm personally too involved with other projects right now, so I can't spend
the time necessary to move this forward. :/

Cheers,
--
sebas