[Kde-silk] Share "Web services" code using KJob's

Alex Fiestas alex at eyeos.org
Sat Jan 8 21:07:03 CET 2011

Hi there fellow developers.

I'm sending this email because we are all working on applications or
libraries which have something in common: all of them are interacting in
some ways with "Web/Cloud/2.0/whatever" services.

The idea is to share code in form of KJob's and make them our raw
material to build our plugins above them, that way everybody can
continue having they plugins (kipi's, choqok, kamoso, recorditnow) or
they integrations (KDevelop, Amarok) but we will be all sharing the same
code base.

The project though should remain small and easy to maintain, having that
in mind this is what we thought:

-The project should have containers such Silk::Twitpic::Upload (Upload
is the KJob)
-We should try to maintain retrocompatibility but we should not be hard
on that, anyway adding things like "Upload2" should be allowed.
-We should think of this project like a bag full of code, where the
developer chooses what code to use (rather than thinking of it like a
complex unified abstract thing).

By doing this code organization, we can share code between applications
in an easy way, for example, if we had all KJob-ified right now, we
would be able to unify and use other's implementations:

Job:				Current implementations:
Silk::Youtube::Upload···········(Kamoso, recorditnow)
Silk::Youtube::Download·········(Amarok)
Silk::Youtube::Search···········(Amarok)
Silk::Facebook::Upload··········(Kipi)
Silk::Flcker::Upload············(Kipi, Choqok)
Silk::Twitpic::Upload···········(Choqok)
Silk::Picasa::Upload ············(Kipi)

Aleix and I are willing to start the project, by implementing
Youtube::Upload, Facebook::Upload and Twitpic::Upload (by porting choqok
uploaders to KJob), but before we start we want to know if you will
follow the lead.

So, What do you think?