[Kde-silk] Introducing Project Silk

Peter Schiffer schiffer at zoznam.sk
Mon Oct 12 23:56:37 CEST 2009

On 10/11/2009 02:16 PM, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Friday 09 October 2009 17:09:00 Peter Schiffer wrote:
>
>> Well, the theme of the project is not exactly specified yet. First idea
>> was some kind of google widgets for KDE4.
>>
> Google Gadgets already run on the Plasma shell, so that one is checked :)
>

>> But it could be quite simple
>> or not very profitable for KDE. And instead of making something from
>> scratch, it would be better if I could join to some existing project.
>> And about the bachelor project itself, it needs to be some logical unit,
>> e.g. some library, application, anything. But I need to be able write
>> report about it with 30-40 A4 pages... So, do you know about something
>> in Silk I could start with? It's more or less up to you..
>>
> Have you had a look over the techbase Silk page? There's a large number of ideas
> there, some easier to do, some harder and more involved. Can you pick maybe three
> ideas that match your motivation and skillset? Then we can discuss what it takes to
> implement them, and how you can exploit this to write a sound thesis report. It's
> best if you decide what to work on, since you'll be the one working on it (and it'll
> better be something interesting to you).
>
> Cheers,

Actually I have and I saw many interesting things there. But to choose 3
I would say:
That picture side of Alessandros part of the project could be..
Or some parts of libweb, e.g: webpage metadata class with preview;
Monitor webpages + change notifications; SOAP API (useful for corporate
web apis) and maybe this - public transport API (standardized way of
getting at this information, different backends to get at the data)
And from the Silk integration components could it be web identity
configuration?

regards