[kde-services-devel] News on Affero GPLv3

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon Nov 19 21:08:17 CET 2007

Hi,

just a quick update on my previous mail [0] about the AGPLv3 and a subsequent
blog entry on Planet KDE which seems to be right on track with what many
people think while others don't seem to see an issue with closed-source
services [1]. This time CC:ing kde-licensing to raise some awareness among
those who're a bit into that legalese stuff, even though I'm not subscribed
so CC: back please.

The AGPLv3 was released today. It effectively adds one clause to GPLv3,
allowing users to replicate services if they want to by letting them request
the source (including modifications) of any AGPLv3-goverened network-enabled
application.
This is not a new idea, there was an AGPLv2 already. But as it has been part
of the GPLv3 process, the licences now fit well together.

Pushing for more free services is very important, unless we want to devote a
significant amount of time in the future on sorting out the mess:
* adapting software to unknown new protocols (Kopete endangered)
* fearing litigation for writing clients (Amazon's TOS)
* being locked out because our user agent says "Konq" (Google)
* being locked out because we're on another platform (Amarok and iTunes)
* want to migrate data due to policy changes and cannot (SF.net)
Not to mention privacy issues (provider leaking OpenPGP private keys, just to
pick one recent headline). We won't be able to run every free service, but we
definitely won't be able to run any proprietary service.

KDE should send out a message that free desktops work best with free services.

Josef

[0]
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-services-devel/2007-September/000007.html
[1]