[kde-services-devel] Description of 4 current projects of mine

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon Jul 23 10:55:22 CEST 2007

Hello,

several people have joined the list already. Let's assume that some of them
are interested in what services are already in development.

Here's the list of projects I'm personally involved with:

* The KDE Games Server (play.kde.org).
--------------------------------------
The site setup is currently being requested from sysadmin.
It's not supposed to be an informative page (as we have games.kde.org for
this purpose already), but instead it's an interactive application which
offloads most of its work to the GGZ Community server (ggzcommunity.org)
using RESTful Web Service APIs.
KDE players will enjoy the usual KDE-style web pages, while all the
administration of games and players runs centrally on the Community site.
Once play.kde.org becomes more popular, we intend to mirror the main
database so that read access (e.g. for the statistics) can be faster.
Once it becomes even more popular, we'll have enough players to start
a dedicated games server for KDE. For the time being, the individual
communities do not have enough players, so they all play on Community.

SVN access:
svn://svn.ggzgamingzone.org/svn/trunk/playground/community/play.kde.org
            svn://svn.ggzgamingzone.org/svn/trunk/community/api
Hosting: http://play.kde.org [requested] on the kstuff.org Xen server

* Commitfilter (commitfilter.kde.org).
--------------------------------------
This has been running for a long time already.
It consists of a web frontend (PHP) with some backend scripts (Perl).
Recent additions include filtering by regular expressions, which is horribly
broken and needs to be fixed before the next release.
I already thought about whether it makes sense to drop Commitfilter
completely and rely on CIA's new filtering capabilities instead. But there
were a couple of KDE-specific thing which we would lose. Maybe it still
makes sense to share the filtering language.

SVN access: svn://svn.kstuff.org/kstuffsvn/trunk/commitfilter
Hosting: http://commitfilter.kde.org on the kstuff.org Xen server

* Hotstuff.
-----------
In development for a long time, and used in production mode for
several small projects, but not for KDE yet.
It consists mainly of backend scripts (Perl), although a template-based
simple frontend is available (PHP, named Cocodrilo).
Hotstuff is supposed to contain all the latest and greatest features
of GHNS. Where/how to host it is not clear yet. One idea was to have
data.kde.org, but we could also leave it where it is and simply replicate
the downloads to download.kde.org.
In the long term, a couple of its features are supposed to go into
kde-look.org/kde-files.org. In particular, the SOAP-based communication
was requested to be possible with REST also, and I think this can be
done. I should really invest more time into Hotstuff.

SVN access: svn://svn.kstuff.org/kstuffsvn/trunk/hotstuff
Hosting: http://new.kstuff.org temporarily

* OpenID.
---------
This is actually a cross-project effort. Right now, GGZ Community
has an OpenID implementation, and based on that I started Evidence which
is supposed to run in Hotstuff and eventually also in GGZ Community.
For the backend, a database is used, although there was the idea of
using LDAP since several applications can authenticate against LDAP
directly.
For desktop integration, there is OpenDesktopID.

SVN access: svn://svn.kstuff.org/kstuffsvn/trunk/evidence
            svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/playground/libs/webtech
Hosting: not yet, only localhost :-)

That's all for now.

Josef