KDE4 slow

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 04:06:28 CEST 2009

> * try a different widget style (as someone noted, the gradients in oxygen can
> be hard on some systems)

The gradients are hard on _all_ systems.
There is currently no driver (except maybe the proprietary nvidia
driver, which provides really excellent XRender support) which is able
to accelerate gradients.
Its always a software fallback, some drivers digest that better than others.

Thats also the reason why Amarok's main window resizes at crap speed.
Who had the idea to use gradients as table background??

I really should finish my QT theme benchmark, to show the horrible
impact that default theme has for resize/repaint performance.
If I only had a bit time. I'll try to hack something together soon.

- Clemens