KDE4 slow

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 25 21:38:24 CEST 2009

On Thursday 25 June 2009, Alvaro Aguilera wrote:
> in comparison to KDE3. The applications from KDE4 work great and fast, when
> they run outside KDE4, so the problem must reside at the window manager, or
> similar. It would be great to have a KDE4-lite version, without plasma, and
> with a very basic, very fast, window manager. Having kde3 and kde4

so, the problem with this entire conversation is that none of you are actually
measuring anything. while i'm sure it's enjoyable to gripe about things,
without measurement there is no way to know:

* where in the code the problem(s) actually lie

* what the cause of the problem(s) are

* the severity and type of the problem(s)

without that information it's quite impossible to make things better. if you
want to help improve things, then investigate and measure. do some sleuth
work. simply saying "oh, we should have a version that does $FOO" will likely
end up with little improvement and just as likely provide a worse experience.

someone mentioned kio slaves, and that's an interesting case in point. "plasma
was really slow" was the report we got from some people; turns out it was
kio_http that was going nuts and taking 100% cpu. it was getting launched by a
plasma widget that uses http, so it gave the impression it was plasma. in that
case, it wasn't.

there are other such examples. so while there is certainly room for
improvements, there's work to be done to make them happen. leaping to
conclusions without doing the investigation part of that work doesn't help,
but just spreads misinformation which some of us then get to spend the next
years cleaning up after.

i want kde4 to be as fast as possible, just like you. let's try and actually
make that happen.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se