KDE4 slow

Pablo Cholaky mrwaltercool at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 06:10:22 CEST 2009

Thats weird!

I have a EeePC with 2Gb RAM and 630Mhz on use, with Kopete, Kontact (Kmail +
Kaddressbook + Kalendar + ToDo + Journal), Skype, Opera with tons of tabs, 2
PDF opened, yakuake and im not reporting problems

Im using Composite but no desktop effects, i havent problem with that, but
is a laptop, and desktop effects can kill my battery faster.

That my free -m and df -h

rootfs 3.7G 3.4G 70M 99% /
/dev/root 3.7G 3.4G 70M 99% /
rc-svcdir 1.0M 60K 964K 6% /lib/rc/init.d
udev 10M 152K 9.9M 2% /dev
shm 1009M 0 1009M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 1000M 520M 481M 52% /tmp
tmpfs 1009M 44K 1009M 1% /var/run
tmpfs 1009M 216K 1008M 1% /var/log

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2016 1962 53 0 10 1409
-/+ buffers/cache: 543 1473
Swap: 124 4 120

My swap is 128MB ram and i have a lot on cache...

So, is a problem with your system or daemons =\

Weird...

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net> wrote:

> El Jueves, 25 de Junio de 2009, Michael Pyne escribió:
> > On Wednesday 24 June 2009 21:12:23 Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> > > The fact is that dissabling composite (nvidia driver) the speed is
> really
> > > similar.
> > >
> > > So, do you think I need a better computer for KDE4? The fact is that
> I'll
> > > buy a new one :), but I really expected that 1 GB RAM and CPU 1600 MHz
> > > (dual core) was enough for "using" KDE4 with just a few apps open
> > > (Konqueror, Kopete, Kontact and Yakuake plus KDE4 core daemons).
> >
> > You don't need a better computer, you need better video drivers.  KDE 4's
> > compositing support relies on features of graphics cards that are not
> often
> > used by games or other 3D software.  Therefore the driver support for
> these
> > features is generally poor.  Older mobile Intel chipset for laptops and
> > such work nicely in my experience.  In theory older Radeon cards are good
> > as well (r300 series or lower!)  I have a r500 card and the graphics work
> > but compositing is unbearably slow (and it wasn't better when I had
> nvidia
> > either).
> >
> > In short, you just need to wait for the video driver support to catch up
> > allow compositing to work smoothly.
>
> Well, as I say I feel the same feeling dissabing composite :(
>

> --
> Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net>

Pablo Cholaky
Gentoo user and developer