KDE4 slow

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Mon Jul 13 15:53:18 CEST 2009

2009/7/13 Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde at carewolf.com>:
> All the KDE4 applications use an absolutely ridiculous amount of virtual
> memory. I don't know why, but I am guessing it is a Qt4 thing. Also the double
> buffering is consuming large amounts of X-resources. For instance increase the
> history size in konsole to something large (10000lines), and it will quickly
> "consume" 1.2Gbyte of virtual memory and 300Mbyte of X-resources. Though as
> long as the virtual memory is not resident, it shouldn't affect performance
> too badly.
>
> Perhaps some optimizations could be made to make Qt4 be less memory hogging.

I don't know which is the issue origin, but my system (KDE4 in a
dual-core 1-GB-RAM laptop) is becoming unusable at all.
Yesterday I had 8 tabs open in Konqueror, Yakuake and Kontact open
(and KDE4 core apps).
Have you ever felt the mouse staggering when moving it around the desktop?
Pressing "New mail" in Kmail takes ~2 seconds (during the first second
I see a gray window and after it I see all the elements being drawn).
Changing from one tab to other in Konqueror was painful and slowww
(again the gray screen and the slow rendering)...

I hate to say it, but I must come back to KDE3 for my home
environment. It's terribly fast in comparission with KDE4. :(

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>