KDE4 slow

Hans-J. Ullrich hans.ullrich at loop.de
Thu Jul 2 21:58:04 CEST 2009

> Additionally, there is a problem with a lot of kio_http processes (search
> after it in the bugreports), which is dramatically slowing down the machine
> (especially older ones).

> Cheers
>
> Hans-J. Ullrich

Additionally information: I tested a little bit, and could prove, the
mentioned kio_http processes are the reason, for slowing down the computer. On
my slower 32-bit system, graphical acceleration (for example when watching tv)
is dramatically slowing down. The video is no more fluent.

At the same time, many kio_http processes appear.

What is causing these processes? Well, one application is konqueror. You can
prove it by killing all kio_http, then start konqueror, and bang, they appear!

You can safely kill them, it has no effect.

The other application is kmail. I found out, they appear, when using imap in
kmail. Running kmail as normal let nothing happen, but when accessing to an
imap mailbox (mine is at AOL), bang, lots of processes appear, and the system
is slowing down.

A third thing I still could not find out: When starting kde4 for the first
time, it is a long time reading or writing something to the hard drive. This
behaviour only appears on my slower system with the 512MB RAM, my 64-bit
system with 2GB and dual-core cpu does not show this.Maybe 512MB might be too
less for kde4, as my 64-bit system shows 725MB in use.

Hope, this helps a little bit.

Hans-J. Ullrich