kpdf dev anyone?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 14 17:21:54 CET 2008

On Friday 14 March 2008, dario balozzi wrote:
> >  Did you try other PDF readers, btw?
>
> Evince: takes ~2 min to scan the entire document ( and don't freeze my PC )
> Acrobat Reader :  ~ Evince times and performance

on this laptop (2Ghz dual core system, standard laptopy SATA drive), acroread
takes ~1s to pop up and show that document, okular ~2.5s (~.5s of that is
okular start up time), kpdf from kde 3.5.9 takes a little over a second
(1.3-ish?).

acroread takes ~90MB RSS, okular ~36MB RSS, kpdf ~34MB.

okular takes ~30s to search the document for "katakana", acroread takes ~18s,
kpdf ~19s.

okular and kpdf has the benefit of a less screwed up UI and has nice features
like opening the document to the page i last left it at.

alos keep in mind that my okular is built with debug symbols and was spewing a
fair amount of debug output to konsole while doing this unscientific
measurement.

so all in all, not bad. it seems there's a tradeoff: raw speed goes to
acroread (though the real wall clock difference is a second here or there),
but UI and memory usage goes to kpdf/okular.

if any of the above apps are taking 2 minutes to open that document, though,
there's something rather fishy going on =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se