desktop problems

Bogdan Bivolaru bogdan.bivolaru at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 08:15:07 CEST 2008

Hello Landon,

1) You said 2 or 3 times you want to unsubscribe from this list. I think you
don't know how to unsubscribe. Here's how:
To unsubscribe from a mailing list please go the admin page of your
subscription, which in this case is
https://mail.kde.org/mailman/options/kde-quality
There you file in your email address and your mailing list subscription
password (not the password of your mail account!!!) and then you press
unsubscribe.

2) I feel sorry for KDE not working out for you, but you see - KDE 4.1 is a
young beast and both it and its users need to learn more about each other.
There may also be packaging bugs from your distribution (Fedora, as I
recall).

3) As for reporting bugs: "After making an exhaustive bug report, some wise
person comes back and says:..."
We know reporting bugs the 'right way' is hard - it is for most free
software projects - but that's how life is! Someone needs to bear the burden
of filling in bugs, and we don't have paid staff in a call center who
receives bugs, categorize them and then files them in. Also please consider
that bugs that are not reported correctly are useless to developers and they
will not be fixed.

Bye,
Bogdan

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 7:39 AM, landon kelsey <landonmkelsey at hotmail.com>wrote:

> you guys are from somewhere else...I am withdrawing from this subsciption!
>
> I never saw a place to switch to Gnome of KDE on the boot process.
>
> Cancel my emails....send me no more emails!

> > Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:49:53 -0400
> > From: craftjml at gmail.com
> > To: kde-quality at kde.org
> > Subject: Re: desktop problems
> >
> > The truth is, Landon, for many of the KDE problems you've just
> > mentioned -- no auto hide on panel, allow another color -- these
> > aren't necessarily bugs, but limitations in KDE 4.0.5's Plasma.  They
> > just haven't been implemented yet.
> >
> > Yum Update should bring KDE 4.1 soon, I hope it helps.
> >
> > In the meantime...I finally realized what you are talking about with
> > 'switchdesk'.  If I recall, isn't that a small program that lets you
> > rapidly flip between GNOME and KDE sessions?
> >
> > I highly suspect that considering how much KDE has changed since 3.5,
> > switchdesk probably gives a lot of glitches when used with KDE4.
> > That's not necessarily KDE4's fault; switchdesk was probably meant for
> > GNOME and KDE 3.5.
> >
> > If you just switch using the Login screen in Fedora, you'll probably
> > be okay.  Switchdesk is a specialty tool, and it's hard to identify
> > what's wrong when you use switchdesk, because I imagine not many users
> > actually use it.  I've only read about it myself.
> >

> > On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:24 PM, landon kelsey
> >  wrote:
> >>
> >> the problem is that I am not sure where KDE stops and Fedora picks up!
> >>
> >> THIS is why I stopped making bug reports!
> >>
> >> I may ask some general questions!
> >>
> >> In general, I wait for yum update to deliver a new version trusting that
> somebody found the problem!
> >>
> >> After making an exhaustive bug report, some wise person comes back and
> says:
> >>
> >> (1) the bug report is not valid
> >> (2) they do not find the bug
> >> (3) the bug report is in the wrong place
> >> (4)
> >> (5)

> more about
> issues are
> they

> stick

> in mind
> allows the

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", 1971, Alan Kay:
http://www.smalltalk.org/alankay.html