Is KDE really usable?

JRT jrt256 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 22 14:04:52 CET 2007

Iñaki wrote:
> Hello, first of all I'm sorry for the severity of the critic I will do to the
> whole KDE in this mail.
>

> My conclusion:
> ***************
> KDE is very powerfull, of course, but has too much bugs and usability issues
> and bad designed applications that make KDE no usable for commons workes in
> an office.
>
> Unfotunatelly I don't see usability improvements in the most important apps of
> KDE (Kontact, Konqueror), just new and "exotic" features that are not
> neccesary for common users who only expect a reliable OS (that KDE can't
> offer now to them).

Yes, your analysis is correct.  KDE remains about 90% baked -- (some)
bugs _are_ fixed, but more raw material is continuously added.
Unfortunately, it never gets to 100% because many developers are more
interested in adding new features rather than fixing the bugs and have
things work 100%  So, what we have is a DeskTop that *would* be
excellent IF only it all worked correctly, but remains too buggy for
commercial use.

I offer no solution to the problem.  Only the suggestion that we have
two releases:

	A stable release that only contains proven features, does not
	allow new features till they have been debugged and emphasizes
	stability over feature bloat.

	A development release that includes new features that aren't
	ready for prime time yet.

This should make everyone happy except that there will be complaints
that it is more work.  Well making a commercial quality DeskTop is going
to be more work.

Any suggestions as to where this should be posted are welcome.  In fact,
feel free to forward this.

--
JRT