New Developer - No KDevelop-project within Ark

Henrique Pinto tawhaki at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 01:29:11 CEST 2007

Hi!

On Mon 18 Jun 2007 16:56, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > appears Ark has hardly been touched the last few years, and thus has no
> > KDevelop-Project.
>
> many of the developers do not use an IDE and just work directly from the
> command line and text editors. so actually very few apps in kde's svn
> have kdevelop projects for them, including very actively maintained ones
> =)

Yep, I tend to use Vim, mostly because of kdesdk/scripts/kde-devel-vim.vim.

> > However the guide I'm using
> > (http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Set_up_KDE_4_for_development)
> > wants a KDevelop-Project. I know that I propably could have made one
> > myself, importing all stuff in the directory, however this needs to be
> > commited to the SVN so I'm asking if someone of the developers is
> > willing to do that.
>
> actually, you probably want to get in touch with the maintainer of ark
> (i've CC'd him here), Henrique.
>
> he's actively working on ark in a branch in svn; i see 2 commits today
> actually... the branch is at branches/work/libarchive-based-ark/

The name of the branch is not really good, BTW. I couldn't find a better
name yet, so I'll probably either keep the name or rename it to something
semi-meaningless such as ark-kerfuffle.

> Henrique: perhaps you could tag up with Fabian here on ark? also ...
> seeing as we're getting closer to 4.0 here, what the status of merging
> your branch back into trunk?

The code is far from finished. Unless a miracle happens, I won't be able to
finish it before beta 1. However, if I read the release plan correctly I
can still merge the branch up to the message freeze on July 20. My plan was
to merge it around July 9.

As for the reason for the branch: Since a lot of time ago, the idea was to
make Ark use KIOSlaves. Unfortunately, I had some problems with ioslaves
last time I tried, and ended up never doing that (if I recall correctly,
some of the problems were implementing mkdir for archive types that didn't
support empty directories, and optimizing extraction of a large number of
files from the same archive). Then, real life got in the way, and I had
very little free-time in the last months, most of which was consumed by
playing Zelda: Twilight Princess, so Ark was in really bad shape for KDE4.

So, I decided to fix things a little, and thus the branch. I was afraid of
not being able to finish a ioslave-based implementation in time, so I opted
to postpone that and instead have a simpler interface that is somewhat
similar to the slaves, so that porting in the future might not be so
difficult.

--
	Henrique Pinto
	tawhaki at gmail.com