Improvment suggestions for KDE

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Mon Jan 22 13:57:04 CET 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 11:43, info at pnb.co.za wrote:
> Quoting Roman Danilov <danil_rom at yahoo.com>:
> > Here are a few suggestions that can signifacantly improve usability of
> > KDE and are very easy to implement to the boot.

[snip three suggestions, which i think make sense (although the third is
probably out-of-scope for KDE4 and not viable in KDE3 anymore)]

> Could you please add these requests to our bug tracker :
> http://bugs.kde.org >> Enter New Wish/Bug . Mark your request as a wish to
> the appropriate kde modules.

Absolutely. Improvements and wishes belong in the bug tracker; usability
improvements like the fade-to-black (suggestion #2) should be discussed on
kde-usability. Having the usability team say "this is a real improvement" is
a big plus in getting changes accepted.

> Btw, I like your ideas. Lets hope the developers do too.

This list isn't a dumping place for potentially good ideas, though. Since the
charter is unclear and purpose vague, we really want to get rid of it, as
follows:

- "getting involved" type participation should go to a (new) getinvolved
mailing list.

- "neat ideas" should go to the right mailing list (-usability, -devel, or
individual app authors or the bug / wish tracker), not this one.

- "quality!" stuff like bug-fixers of the month, as well as code quality
checking, bug triage, should stay here.

That subtly shifts the charter to "working on the quality of KDE" and reduces
the scatter on the list.

--
Adriaan de Groot
  KDE Quality Team   http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/