KDE OS

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Jan 5 20:36:42 CET 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 15:03, Robert Scott wrote:

> It's not a disk space thing, it's a memory thing. Modern
> unix systems have VM systems that map most of a shared library into memory
> once no matter how many processes use it. Imagine a desktop with n qt apps
> each having an individual copy of qt in their memory space.

That would of course be ridiculous.

If we have a well defined system (such as a future "LSB 4.0 Desktop"
or whatever), any application could assume a specifice Qt version to
be present on the system, could build against this version and could
therefore forego including Qt.

> Not only would it
> be a waste of memory, the mapping would have to happen on every application
> startup.
>
> And then there is the fact that you wouldn't get automatic updates.

Why? It is not a major difficulty to code f.e. a "KDE klik client
framework" that does exactly that: check for available updates and
automatically fetch them if available. (No, it is not there at the
present time.)

Cheers,
Kurt