KDE OS: Why not

Chris chris at deadhand.com
Fri Jan 5 11:41:49 CET 2007

Am Freitag 05 Januar 2007 05:20 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle:
> More and more people come to realize that this is a problem that
> needs to be tackled. Hence the recent LSB face to face meeting in
> Berlin that discussed "packaging" (December 6 2006, according to
> http://www.freestandards.org/en/LSB_face-to-face_%28December_2006%29 )

Those interested in that topic (and I think most developers and ISVs *should*
be) there is also autopackage:

http://www.autopackage.org/

It's somewhat like klik in the way that it yields installer-like packages you
can use on almost any recent linux distribution. Actually from my experience
as a user of both autopackage and klik it is more mature and works very well,
even for upgrading previously distribution specific packages (like amarok or
firefox).
It doesn't have any of the web-clickable goodness of klik though, but the
benefit of that isn't very clear to me yet.

No matter at how you look at it, but current solutions, klik and autopackage
as well as what ever the LSB might come up with one day could solve this
annoying binary incompatibility if done right and accepted by a broader base
of devs and ISVs.

Regards,
Chris