KDE OS - Why not?

Chris chris at deadhand.com
Thu Jan 4 22:19:34 CET 2007

Am Donnerstag 04 Januar 2007 21:20 schrieb Marvin Raaijmakers:
> I'm sorry but I really do not undestand how someone could say this. Take
> for example a distribution that uses the apt-get system. Suppose you
> have read an article about the Gimp and think: "I want to have that
> program installed on my system". Then you type 'apt-get install
> gimp' (or: click click click click click) and the Gimp is installed. Do
> you really prefer this over: go to the gimp website, download an
> installer, start the installer, tell the stupid installer where you want
> to have it installed and afterwards reorganize your desktop because it
> contains hundreds of icons?

Looking Marcos following statement, he's possibly refering to something else:
"- the number of different Linux flavours and the binary incompatibility from
one to another (and from one release to the next one)."

Maybe he's refering to the way you install '3rd party" applications. If
something is in the distributions own repositories installation should be
easy enough on every distribution, jsut like you explained. So I think what
he's looking at is the way you install more current versions of apps or such
3rd party software that's not available from the distribution directly.

> And also note that closed source software farmers can also create .deb
> files for installing their software.

Reality still is that many commercial vendors or other smaller parties such as
independant game developers (sometimes even open source ones) don't have the
ressources to create packages for every distribution in the world or just
don't care about *your* distribution of choice.
This leaves the user with a website, which has the latest and greatest for MS
Windows (all of them) as a EXE/ZIP, a DMG for Mac OS X and some source
archive; for the Linux folks.
I can only assume that this is what Marco is on about, because if you find
Linux banaries of such software it often ends up to be a RPM, specifically
for let's say Fedora Core 4.

So don't get me wrong; What Marco suggests isn't the solution to one of those
problems either, it's just that I agree that from a certain point of view
there IS a problem with software installation in Linux.
Maybe [2] explains a bit better, that there are others who feel that way.

Unfortunatley yet-another-distribution-specific-package-system as is suggested
with the "KDE OS" endeavour would not be the solution for this. It would only
work if everybody(!) would suddenly stop using what they have now and would
rush out to install "KDE OS".

Marco, if you're serious about your plans, have a good look at what is out
there today. For example there is a fairly mature method for creating binary
packages called autopackage[1] that is supposed to deliver binary packages
that are useable throught most of todays distributions. On the other hand the
LSB plans to improve upon the current situation as well - see [2]. But
there's only talk about it as of yet .

Today I could only imagine something like this to come close to the vision of
yours:
Have a base system of one of the most widely accepted distributions around
(RH, SUSE or Ubuntu). Since your focus is KDE you might want to look at
Kubuntu. Only install the very most important base applications via the
native package system (deb in that case) and provide all the other software
(media players, mail clients, browsers...) via .package files (see
autopackage[1]) or a similarly portable format. Thus all of the non-core
applications are installable not only on your distribution but mostly
everywhere. Then spread the word about autopackage or your own format and
have many 3rd parties use it...

Regards,
Chris

[1] www.autopackage.org