KDE OS - Why not?

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu Jan 4 21:54:50 CET 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 17:47, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> That said, the focus of this mailinglist is vastly unclear to most of those
> who are subscribed. The name kde-quality is misleading for a mailinglist
> we're sending new contributors to. The original idea behind this was that
> new contributors can start off by little things that are improving the
> quality.

Right. A coordination place for bug triage (see other thread: that's happening
at least). Somewhere for JJ's to accumulate. Somewhere to work on the
developer tutorials and make sure that our information for new developers is
as good as possible.

Very little of that is happening. Most new developers show up on -devel.
Sometimes other lists. Only *rarely, if at all* here.

> At the same time, there is growing professional interest in the field of
> quality related to Free Software projects in general, and more specifically
> KDE, so we might want to consider re-focusing this mailinglist and creating
> and advertising a new place for those that show up and want to help, but
> need some handholding to do so.

Yes, this topic has come up before. I'd be a big fan of re-christening this
list (and perhaps also the associated website) for quality-checking and
quality-control stuff, far more than the getting-started focus it ostensibly
has. For that, we have several good resources such as Will's gettingstarted/
and the new developer wiki with its tutorials.

--
KDE Quality Team  http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/
GPG: FEA2 A3FE    http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/