New user advices

Diego Costantini costantini at netlab.nec.de
Fri Apr 27 12:16:16 CEST 2007

Hi, I am a new ubuntu user.
I tried for a few time Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and I would like to help improving
KDE because switching from Gnome I consider KDE more good looking but
less "smart".
I am a noob, so I probably will write noob things, but please don't be mad at
me :)

 - I choose to show Settings in KMenu (forget about why I want to do that, if
there is the option to do it, I am supposed to use it for some reason ;) ),
if i go for example into network settings, I can't change anything because it
writes "click the administrator mode button". Unfortunately I lost half an
hour searching for it, because a such important button is not inside the
window (so what is the use of the settings windows opened from something
different than Control Center?), is not on the desktop, is not anywhere but
in System Settings (but why should I go into system settings when I am
supposed to be already there while modifying the network settings?).
Why don't just show the password prompt when I need to do some change wherever
I am, like Gnome does? (don't take it bad, I don't want KDE becoming
Gnome ;) )

 - Why don't let the user choose if permanently bypass the Administrator mode
button or at least for a session? (or if this option exists, why don't put it
where a dumb like me can find it?)

 - System Settings, when i show the Settings menu, it changes its name into
Control Center, why?

 - Why all the windows, even for different virtual desktops, are shown in the
same taskbar? It is quite against the logic of virtual desktops, because for
example: I use 8 virtual desktops because I am suppose to work on 8 different
environments, thus I will use at least 8 windows, but let's say more; now,
why should I be interested in having really small window buttons in the
taskbar including all the windows of different environments? (I hope you'll
undersand what I mean, and again, Gnome handles better this point too)

 - another thing (I suppose would be easy to do if I wouldn't be so noob, but
anyway...) why don't include an easy option to place somewhere in the bar the
turn off red button like in Gnome? In the end you do all you need with 2
click instead of 3 including waiting for the KMenu to open; this looks like
windows, and it's not a compliment :)

 - last point I have in mind right now, is that sometimes application just
pretend to load and just disappear without any message or window (this didn't
happen with Gnome, but maybe using it more could happen).

 - even if this is a more technical issue I'll post here because nowadays I
consider it as quality of a system: developers should care a bit more about
wireless and security keys (like WPA), because this will be the way of the
market, and I think it should be a priority to make it work when a new
distibution is released, and in my experience I really thought to give up
with Linux because I couldn't make my Wireless Intel3945 work with WPA in
both new Ubuntu and Kubuntu. In the end I decided to temporarily use WEP on
router and give a chance to Linux, but many people won't be able to do
anything and Windows will continue with its monopoly...

I hope I haven't forgot anything :)

I remind you that I am a noob and I just wrote what I felt wrong on KDE during
my transition WindowsXP -> Gnome -> KDE and I hope you will improve it
solving this "issue", or better just make it more comfortable ;)

Cheers,
Diego