Localized icons, not only localized texts?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Sun Sep 3 15:58:58 CEST 2006

Am Sonntag, 3. September 2006 15:25, schrieb Henrique Pinto:
> On Sun 03 Sep 2006 10:35, Stefan Monov wrote:
> > 1. No matter how good our artists are, and no matter for how long and how
> > hard they try, some icons just cannot *become* good enough to be useful
> > in the absence of text.
>
> Please have i18n in mind. It is really difficult to create an icon that
> accurately represents an action no matter where on earth you are from.

So icons should be included into l10n efforts, then? After all iconics build a
language and are obviously in need for localization, too.

No idea how to solve this, especially with composed icons. Dynamic creation
of/by SVGs may offer a solution, but then I have no knowledge there and if
proper libraries exist.

Regards
Friedrich