Better default toolbar setting

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Sat Sep 2 11:39:40 CEST 2006

Am Samstag, 2. September 2006 07:41 schrieb Stefan Monov:
> On Saturday 02 September 2006 04:20, Iñaki wrote:
> > http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=28160&vote=good&tan=4001
> >08 02
>
> Opening this URL automatically votes good.
>
> >  - "The icons should also have text beside them to explain what they
> > are."
>
> 1. It's ugly.
> 2. It's unnecessary, and if it isn't, then the icon needs to be improved.

I've configured konqueror so that the text is under the icons - I think Mac
has that too.
I use konq since 6 years in daily life and I know the icons quit well. You can
call me an experienced user who is looking for optimized workflows that don't
need much thinking and prevent errors.
I switched about a year ago and still it improved usage for me quite a lot.
Esp. since icon buttons are larger now and quicker to use. If you accidently
hit the wrong button in a webbrowser this usually takes quite some time to
revert due to loading times. Also icon + text gives better recognition to me,
since the browser icons (back, forward, etc) became to similar.

I agree that it sometimes looks ugly, but only if the text is much too long.
E.g. I have 2 buttons "Schrift vergrößern" and "Schrift verkleinern" and the
text is simply too much. KGet has a button named "Dateitransfer-Verwaltung".
Ugh...
Btw, I am using a small font for all toolbars.

This is of course only one users experience, I agree. Still I think this
config option should be there, it should be easier to turn it on) and it
should be better maintained (wrt to too long action names).

Cheers,
eva