Better default toolbar setting

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Sat Sep 2 03:20:41 CEST 2006

Hi, I've seen this mockup of Kget of August 2005:
 http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=28160&vote=good&tan=40010802

I copy the description here:

" The KGet UI is too confusing for new users and it needs to be simplified.
KGet is not an app that is used for extended periods of time, so users do not
have the time or the need to learn what the toolbar icons do. i recommend
removing most of them and leaving only resume, pause, delete, restart and
paste. The icons should also have text beside them to explain what they are.
A person should be able to use all the basic features of kget the first time
they open it, and more advanced features should remain in the menus."

And there are two screenshots: the actual Kget and the proposal:

 - Actual Kget: http://ciberia.ya.com/jesusda/pics/11_kget.png
 - Proposal: http://www.kde-look.org/content/files/28160-snapshot7.png

I know that the developers have improved Kget for future versions, but I'd
like to comment that IMHO this is a very good guideline for all KDE apps. I
really like those sentences:
 - "The icons should also have text beside them to explain what they are."
 - "A person should be able to use all the basic features of kget the first
time they open it."

I hope the defaults setting in KDE4 will be based on toolbars with few labeled
icons, just the most important of them to allow the user enjoy the app the
first time he runs it. Nowadays many KDE apps are very difficult to use to
common users because they have a long toolbar saturated of many strange
icons. Sometimes it looks that the toolbar has so many icons just because
they fit into it, and not because they are really useful, so they make the
gui interface complex.

Also I like the toolbar of first Okular screenshots:
  http://kpdf.kde.org/okular/screenshots.php
It's exactly the same concept.

Just it, regards.

--