I'd like to contribute... - a KDevelop -question

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Oct 27 20:21:45 CEST 2006

On Friday 27 October 2006 14:23, Tuomas Nurmi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've used KDE for years and been following many of the mailing lists for
> quite some time now. I have some experience from C and java programming and
> I've been lately studying C++ and QT4. I'm most interested in koffice
> development (yes, I've been following it quite keenly lately) and the major
> problem I have had is:
>
> I have NO experience what so ever of IDEs or auto* / CMake. In my projects
> I have compiled from the the command line using manually produced header
> files and Makefile.

Just to avoid misunderstandings: it is not required to use KDevelop.

If you are more comfortable using the shell and make for building and one of
the programmer editors for coding, then this is perfectly OK.

As for Makefile generation: most of the time, especially at the beginning, you
will be modifying files, i.e. ones that are already handled properly.
Sometimes you might have to add new files, but again, in most of those cases
you also have plenty of examples in the build system input files because of
the files which are already there.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring