Is KDE really usable?

Vladislav Blanton vblanton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 18:10:53 CEST 2006

Also, the KDE4 HIG is being developed Wiki-style and is  open to
comments/edits/ideas/fixes. I'd recommend you look into helping them out
Kimmo S (and anyone who thinks they could make positive contributions to the
developing HIG.

The KDE4 HIG wiki can be found here:
http://wiki.openusability.org/guidelines/index.php/Main_Page

Vlad

On 10/24/06, jos poortvliet <jos at mijnkamer.nl> wrote:

> Op dinsdag 24 oktober 2006 17:08, schreef Kimmo Sundqvist:
> > On Monday 23 October 2006 00:43, Lex Hider wrote:
> > > Thanks for the feed back. The most appropriate action to take is to
> file
> > > bugs for the problems that you find with KDE.
> >
> > My two cents on this.
> >
> > The name of this mailing list has a some kind of holistic ring to it.
> "If
> > there is something wrong or odd in the whole KDE, on the overall KDE
> > experience, but you can't put your finger on it exactly, then this is
> the
> > list to discuss things out and find names for problems."
> >
> > The reusable component architecture in KDE is really considered one of
> its
> > strongest selling points. It has to do with power, meaning what the
> users
> > are able to do with it. But it is also easy to forget the user
> experience
> > in all those possibilities.
> >
> > I recently used OS X for a couple of minutes. Compared to Kubuntu, what
> > felt using it was the level of integration. OS X Finder feels like one
> well
> > thought out piece. It feels powerful because everything is easily
> > accessible, and the user feels that he can try things out and not do
> > anything damaging or end up in a situation where it is hard to get back.
> >
> > Rule: the user should be encouraged to try things out.
> >
> > Rule: whatever user is encouraged to try, he should easily be able to
> get
> > back to the exact previous state he was in.
>
> >(more rules)
>
> if you can define these rules in precise and practical rules for the KDE 4
> HIG, you can really help with making KDE more usable. if not, it's a lot
> like
> saying 'KDE should be better!' and being happy with the great
> accomplishment
> of saying it.
>
> giving practical tips for the applications (bugzilla.kde.org) on how to
> improve them would, i'm sure, be appreciated. including mockups would
> rock.
> saying (something in) the apps are bad is rather useless, as that's
> something
> the developers already know: nothing is perfect.
>
> > -Kimmo S.
>
> grtz
> Jos
>
> --
> Disclaimer:
>
> Alles wat ik doe denk en zeg is gebaseerd op het wereldbeeld
> wat ik nu heb. Ik ben niet verantwoordelijk voor wijzigingen
> van de wereld, of het beeld wat ik daarvan heb, noch voor de
> daaruit voortvloeiende gedragingen van mezelf.
> Alles wat ik zeg is aardig bedoeld, tenzij expliciet vermeld.

=     Vladislav Blanton      =
  =  vblanton at gmail.com  =