Is KDE really usable?

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Sun Oct 22 18:33:56 CEST 2006

Hello, first of all I'm sorry for the severity of the critic I will do to the
whole KDE in this mail.

In my work all the people are 24-27 years old guys with a lot of experience in
Linux systems. All of them use Ubuntu except me, I use Kubuntu Dapper.

I started working here 6 months ago and most of the people in the office like
the "power" of KDE I show to them, for example:
 - Kioslaves
 - Konqueror with the window splited in 6 parts.
 - Applications as Kontact, Kompare, yakuake
 - Kate and its sessions and syntax.

So those days two persons in the office have installed Kubuntu Dapper in their
work computers to use it instead of Gnome. Both of them came back to Ubuntu
yesterday and hate KDE now. It's sad to admit it, but I understand them.

I'd like to clarify that I'm speaking about two boys working for long time in
Linux systems, so I'm not speaking about newbies. Anyway they need a good
Linux desktop to work in an efficient way. Is it possible with KDE? I dont
thing so.

I'll related now all the problems occurred to one of them the day he installed
Kubuntu Dapper and tried to use it for working:

Kontact:
***********
Any user working in an office needs a reliable PIM applicacion.

Marking a mail as "important" is an usable and typical option, but in Kmail it
needs 3 mouse clicks or configure a special key access. The people just want
to click near the mail with the mouse to mark is at "important"
or "spam", "ham" or anything. Nobody wnat to learn key access for anything.

Kontact crashes, crashes and crashes. Every time. We have a webdav calendar
and 50% of times we access to it using Korganizer Kontact crash. It's not
usable at all. Without the webdav calendar it crahes many times too.

If you configure a remote calendar or vcard Kontact will empty it the 50% of
times, so I deleted a Vcard with many clients data because this issue.

Using two or more mail accounts in Kmail is very difficult. Most of the people
want a identity for each account but in Kmail is very difficult to use the
accounts in that way, you must:
- Create X identities.
- Configure the accounts and associate them to the identities.
- Create a folder for each.
But if you dont configure it more you will have all the sent mails in the
same "sent" folder. Confusing.
The Mozilla Thunderbird way is better and more intuitible. Kmail should have
the same behaivor by default, and later the user could configure it with
special features, but by default the Thunderbird model is better (when you
create a mail account automatically are created an identity,
and "sent", "inbox", "trash" and "dratf" folders for that account).

Kmail deletes periodically the folder properties (the asociated identity,
maillist, icon...).

Konqueror:
************
Many times when trying to download something from Sourceforge or other pages
Konqueror/Kget download the "download.php" intead of the file. This bug ONLY
occurs with Konqueror, so I need to use Firefox (that I hate) many times
because it's imposible to download a simple file with KDE/http.

My work friend needed to download a .odt documents from a web server, so used
Konqueror for that. OpenOffice appears but dissapears in a second without
opening the document. This bug occurs to me many times, with many KDE
versions, in Debian, Kubuntu and so. Then, the user can't use Konqueror to
download a simple document from a web server. Is it a OpenOffice problem? why
does it work if I download the same file with Firefox?

Space in disk:
***************
Is there any usable and easy way in KDE to show the free space in the disk? I
don't think so. I know some places to see it, but are not easy to find or
intuitible for users.

Printers:
*********
Printers configuration is a pain in KDE. The Cups interface is the worst I've
seen in usability terms. I've tested 6 users and invite them to configure any
printer with it and all of them are confused with that interface. Ubuntu's
interface is simple and better, but in the KDE print interface nothing
dissapears, just new features are added, incrementing the chaos.

My work friend installed a printer but then he needed to uninstall it.
Impossible, something like "error-client-..." appeared. Impossible, he
couldn't do it and needed to use the console for that.

Floppy:
*******
Since KDE 3.4 it's not possible to use a floppy in many computers. Double
click in the floppy icon mounts it (as you can verify by executing "mount")
but KDE doesn't realize of that and shows the icon as unmounted. This bug
occurs in the 90% computers I've installed KDE into them, and doesn't occur
with Ubuntu.

My conclusion:
***************
KDE is very powerfull, of course, but has too much bugs and usability issues
and bad designed applications that make KDE no usable for commons workes in
an office.

Unfotunatelly I don't see usability improvements in the most important apps of
KDE (Kontact, Konqueror), just new and "exotic" features that are not
neccesary for common users who only expect a reliable OS (that KDE can't
offer now to them).

Of course I'll try to investigate and report all the important bugs I've told
here, but it was terrible for me when an advantage user had to reinstall
Gnome because it was impossible to work with KDE. And I saw all the proccess,
the bugs weren't "newbie" bugs, the problem was KDE, sure.

I'm really sorry for this mail. I know that people behind KDE are very good
people doing a big effort for KDE, but I think I shouldn't hide the KDE bugs
and it's better to tell of all them. In this case I tell them here to show
how difficult is using KDE in an office with people that wanted to use it.

I hope KDE4 will be based in the usability instead of new an exotic features.
Instead of adding features that just 2% of users will use KDE should improve
the important things that 100% of users need.

Regards and sorry again for all.

--
Iñaki