What is my name?

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Mon May 29 23:43:37 CEST 2006

On Monday 29 May 2006 23:10, Frans Englich wrote:

> I am personally very interested in XQuery in the KDE-context(what a
> surprise). For those who doesn't know XQuery, it is basically SQL for
> XML(XML Query == XQuery).

Well, in contrast to SQL XQuery is missing the data manipulation part.

> Combined with that the data model is abstracted,
> means that we in KDE can let loose a full fledged query engine on any data
> that can be represented in a hierachial way. In other words, it doesn't
> have to be "XML" as in "those text files" that is queries/searched, but
> pretty much everything. Later one one can also implement Full Text
> searching.[1]

How useful is XQuery outside of a database context? Without the help of a
database backend it seems to be a bit questionable, if the enormous
flexibility of XQuery is worth the performance.

> It would probably be healthy to brainstorm a bit on the possibilities of
> this on k-c-d or similar, to open up opportunities, and so on.

This sounds like a good idea, but I'm not really sure that would lead to
anywhere, when it's not clear yet how somebody would be able to use it a all
given the lack of a public API.

> > Isn't this tied to the rest of KDom?
>
> Actually not, it will be the other way around; KHTML/KDOM will depend on
> the XPath/XSL-T/XQuery code. KDOM/KHTML's trees are specialized for
> rendering/web compatibility, leading to performance impacts for those who
> only need data representation(and they neither allow different tree
> implementations) and they also bring in dependencies on X11 and what not :)
> We'll probably depend on kxmlcore beyond kdecore/qtcore, though.
>
> May I ask where your interest stems from? Identity constrains in XML
> Schema? XPath need in XForms? Our parser/tokenizers are already geared
> toward different XQuery/XPath dialects, so doing that kind of stuff is on
> the roadmap.

I would love to have an XPath implementation which could seamlessly be used in
existing XML processing code. e.g. applying an XPath to a QDom document and
getting a QDomElement as result.

It would also be interesting to have a XSLT implementation which could be used
instead of libxslt. But I'm not sure how much we would be able to gain from
it. A very simple wrapper of libxslt already provides most of the API one
would need and I don't know, if the performance of a new implementation would
be comparable to libxslt. Would be interesting to port for example the help
kioslave to your xslt lib and compare the performance. As with XPath it might
be interesting to be able to apply XSLTs to existing represenations of XML
data, not only text, but also a QDom tree.

XQuery is quite a beast, so I don't know how interesting this would be to
application developers. It still would be nice to have an implementation. The
API for this could be very simple as well when it just uses existing XML
representations.

I would really like to try your implementation. If it doesn't depend on KDom
it should be possible to create something like a stand-alone package which
already works now, right?