kmenu thoughts

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Thu Jan 26 20:57:51 CET 2006

Hi *,

and here we go with my first message to kde.devel.quality :)

Vladislav Blanton wrote:
> For your specific situation, you could just turn off the *Recently
> Installed Apps* section of the Kmenu.

So, one more option to seek at in the controlcenter?!

> I agree that frequent updates could become annoying if they appeared in
> the *Recently installed..* section. The good thing is that it would only
> record
> new entries in the Kmenu so that wouldn't happen.  For instance, imagine
> the user installs KBounce 1.2 for the first time and an entry is placed
> within *Menu > Games > Bouncy Games*. Then all of a sudden there is an
> update to KBounce that adds Network support in version 1.3. The user
> updates it but there is already an entry in the menu for Kbounce so it is
> not considered a new app and is not linked to in the respective *recently
> installed...* section.

That sounds for me more like the try to push the information "app xyz got
installed" into the kmenu. Is it really needed to place now readonly-feedback
at an area like the kmenu?
It's even more worse. Even if you use that item the first time 1-n times to
execute your newly installed application you still don't know where it's
located once it moves out of the "recently installed" submenu (not to forget
that changing positions of menuitems arn't that wise anyway - what reminds me
of the somewhat wired show/hide menuitems I still need to seek for once they
changed there caption).
Also I would ask me what will happen if I do an apt-get dist-upgrade... got
the menu then filled with the random items that got installed/updated last?).
Well, I guess there is a reason why MS choosed to display the information
that something got updated at the regular by the user defined menustructur
rather then providing an additional menu with totaly another structur and (at
the first look) which doesn't even have something to do with my main
self-defined menuitems.

> On the other hand, it might take up to much space on the menu.

Yeah and it's only about some information the user may like to read or just
ignores. So, why does it need to be in the kmenu as own submenu at all and
why not e.g. at a "Installation History" tab in the infocenter (which doesn't
limit the numbers of displayed recent installed apps and which is designed to
provide such kind of "system informations").

--
Sebastian Sauer aka dipesh[sebsauer]
http://www.dipe.org/public_key.asc