kmenu thoughts

Vladislav Blanton vblanton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 19:16:01 CET 2006

For your specific situation, you could just turn off the *Recently Installed
Apps* section of the Kmenu.

I agree that frequent updates could become annoying if they appeared in the
*Recently installed..* section. The good thing is that it would only record
new entries in the Kmenu so that wouldn't happen.  For instance, imagine the
user installs KBounce 1.2 for the first time and an entry is placed within
*Menu > Games > Bouncy Games*. Then all of a sudden there is an update to
KBounce that adds Network support in version 1.3. The user updates it but
there is already an entry in the menu for Kbounce so it is not considered a
new app and is not linked to in the respective *recently installed...*
section.

On the other hand, it might take up to much space on the menu.

It would be nice if other's could comment on the idea of a *Recently
Installed Apps* section within Kmenu.

Vlad Blanton

On 1/26/06, Sebastian Röder <sebastian.roeder at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 26. Januar 2006 16:59 schrieb kde-quality-request at kde.org:
> > > And remember installing
> > > programms is mostly a task for admins and not for users - they don't
> even
> > > care what the admin does.
> >
> > Please, be realized that not all the KDE users work in an office with a
> > system department. Most users maybe "home users".
> >
> > Find out that Windows is very used because all the people use it at home
> > (they can install programas easily and configure the system easily too),
> so
> > they don't need training to use Windows in their work.
> >
> > And of course, a person who lives alone and uses KDE needs to configure
> the
> > network, the WI-FI, the printer, fax... or should he pay to a systems
> > administrador to configure his computer?
>
> I refered to households like mine were I am the "home administrator" to
> the
> linux box on which my sister and parents are working. I have to set
> everything up and then the log in and do there everyday work. So what
> would
> hapen if they find a "recently INSTALLED apps" category in kmenu?
>
> Well, two possibilities: the app is named say "quanta plus" and they never
> heard of it or feal the desire of dealing with just another app cause they
> don't need it for there tasks - so they ignore it and the entire "recent
> INSTALLS" thing.
>
> Or they asked me to install app XYZ cause they badly need it and now they
> find
> it in "recently INSTALLED". That mean for them that I finaly managed to
> install it ;-). But since it is say an Office app (they know, cause they
> have
> asked me to install it) they will find it anyway in the category "Office".
>
> So again, what's the point of "recently installed apps"? Beside that MS
> does
> it like this (giving new apps a new color). For me (meaning for a single
> user
> desktop where I am user and admin, too) the information of the install
> date
> of an app is not relevant to make decisions which app I start to do a
> certain
> task. And remember that update circles are much shorter then in MS world
> so
> my "recend installs" would show all the bugfix releases etc. WHY should
> THIS
> be useful to the user?

=     Vladislav Blanton      =
  =  vblanton at gmail.com  =