A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Thu Feb 23 22:55:18 CET 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 18:17, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> On Monday 20 February 2006 23:30, Gábor Lehel wrote:
> > You should check out the Lipstik style, it seems to do rather better
> > in this area:
> >
> > http://img483.imageshack.us/my.php?image=konqueror3ns.png
>
> This screenshot made me think.... Notice how the first line in Konqueror has 4
> icons, while the second line has just two. Maybe we should strive for
> symmetry here? Instead of having 4 icons in the first line and 2 in the
> second, what if we had 3 icons in both lines?

Very good idea!  :-)

> If the user resizes the window,
> or adds stuff (folders, files etc.), the app would try to maintain symmetry.
> Of course, such symmetry wouldn't be always possible, but still.

Uhmm.... what would happen, if an item were added (by an external
program) while you have the window open and look at it? Where will
the 8th icon appear? Where the 9th, where the 10th, etc.?

Wouldn't require constant re-arrangment of the order? Can't this
be quite confusing to users? Especially if you repeatedly look at
or access a specific item and it changes place all the time?

So, in a way filling the first row first, then the second, then
the third... would certainly leave all initial 7 items in place.

Cheers,
Kurt