A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Feb 20 22:08:05 CET 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 17:54, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> You might have seen already (or maybe not):
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-14/
>
> Anyway, here are my comments:
>
> I'm VERY impressed!

Yes, me too. I think the GNOME people are great engineers and designers.

What impresses me -- be it in music, writing, engineering or anything else --
is the ability to change. The Apple and GNOME people have somekind of
development culture where radical UI ideas doesn't get shot down or hindered
by conservative forces... the ideas get deployed.

That's something which many misses when they find a specific GNOME idea which
they think is completely hopeless(and they can be right, of course). That
feature may be completely hopeless, but in the broad picture they /try
different ideas/, they /research/, and the next idea(or the next one..) turns
out great.

I applaud you for pointing at something other than KDE and saying it is great.
I think that's missing a lot in KDE's development community, more moderate
views which says "we really need to get better at this" and "those got it
right, and perhaps we can learn", and so forth. In some cases it feels like
people percept looking in another direction or critism as negative, as
something that harms KDE. It is quite the contrary, of course.

[...]
> KDE has a lot of work ahead of it. A lot. I'm really looking forward to
> KDE4, and I really, really hope that it delivers on this front. I would
> guess that UI-changes like this are relatively easy to do, but for some
> reason I feel that changes like these are the ones that would face the most
> opposition...

Yupp, me too.

I would find it interesting to read an anthropological study of what is valued
in the KDE community(yes yes, ESR's the Cathedral and the Bazaar discusses
such things). It wouldn't surprise me if an application is judged primarily
by the amount of features it has, the more technical the better.

I think KDE's largest critism is in usability, that interfaces are too
cluttered(if not that what else? Integration? Nope. Features? Nope.), so it
can perhaps be used as a statistical indication to that there lies a truth.

It's all about demand. I's the broad "public opinion" that steers how KDE
looks, not one or two developers. If the public opinion is convinced that
that being able to configure how their browser allocates memory(they use the
words "Freedom", "Powerfulness", "look at MS Windows", etc), it's perhaps
that freedom one gets, on the cost of how the UI looks.

However, I think there have been very big improvements on the usability front
the last year, especially how the development community /works/ with
usability issues. I also think the new module layout(workspace, etc) affects
usability substantially in the end. I think there is hope in the long
perspective.

What I do wish is that we wouldn't have a camp of usability-geeks, and a camp
of hardcore tech-geeks. I would like tech-geeks who are tech-geeks for
solving (usability) problems, not who are tech-geeks because... I don't know
why :)

Cheers,

		Frans