Looking to help

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Fri Apr 21 11:40:35 CEST 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 07:31, nickoli wrote:
> Really like KDE and the whole team that works on it, and would really
> like to get involved with some of the minor jobs that wouldn't require
> extensive programming language knowledge.

Hi Nickoli,

If you are interested in programming (really, KDE code is not rocket science;
if you can write some basic C++ you can get by; heck, we even *taught* a guy
C++ while he was adding email-validation functions to Kontact), then there
are "Junior Jobs" which are small bugs or little features that can be added
fairly easily and where an application maintainer has said he or she would be
willing to do a little mentoring. You can find the JJ's on bugs.kde.org [1].

If you are interested in documenting things, then there are the API documents
[2] [3] which always need work. It can be useful to read them and fix them up
a little while learning to program.

The websites are always looking for content and editors and people who really
want to get the message about KDE out. For instance, Kontact.org is rather
lacking in user information; pim.kde.org is the developer site and could use
better links to existing developer.kde.org and quality.kde.org information.

SpreadKDE.org has a task list and is a good place to start looking.

> It would be great if someone
> would be able to point in the general direction of what i could do to
> start helping, or if someone needs help on something their working on.

General directions, see above. Specific things .. hm. I'm always a little
reluctant to give them because I would name things that *I* find interesting
or useful; those are my itches, not necessarily yours.

- If you have a Palm Pilot, www.kpilot.org needs help.
- Kill korgac, the organizer reminder that lives in the systray. I don't want
it to start ever again. (rm is an option, but I'd prefer something
user-configurable).

[ade]

[1]
http://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=JJ%3A&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED