Memory and load-time profiling

Kimmo Sundqvist kimmo.sundqvist at mbnet.fi
Thu Apr 13 07:55:48 CEST 2006

Hello

Some time ago the Gnome project encountered some nasty surprises when
determining, what takes the time when Gnome loads, and what eats all the
memory when a GTK application runs.

I'm very much interested if someone has done something like that with KDE and
Qt.  Is there any ideas, any profiling information available, of what
constitutes the load times and memory consumption of KDE and KDE apps?

I wonder if there is anything that would sudddenly take less memory or less
time to load, by simple redesign of some parts of the process?  Or if there
are examples of this having already been done, I'd like to learn from them.

My point is not to say that something should be done, what should be done or
why it should be done.  But since I have not yet seen any discussion on this,
I thought I wanted to see, what can be known about this.

-Kimmo S.