KDE4 and KIO Fuse

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 11 21:09:38 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 12:21, Iñaki wrote:
> El Martes, 11 de Abril de 2006 09:37, Stephan Kulow escribió:
> > Am Freitag, 7. April 2006 21:27 schrieb Iñaki:
> > > Does anyone know something new about it for KDE4?
> >
> > As KDE is not specific to Linux but Fuse is, I don't think we will rely
> > on it too much. We might improve the support for it, but it won't become
> > a core component to my understanding.
>
> Sorry, but does *BSD or other Operating Systems support HAL and UDEV? I
> think they don't, but anyway in Linux KDE by default uses HAL to determine
> the devices. So, what is the difference?

we also support mechanisms other than HAL/DBUS.

the point is that we can only use what's available, so making FUSE (or any
other kernel-specific feature) a core part of KDE is almost certainly a
no-go.

what people -can- do is improve the integration of KDE on any given platform
as long as it isn't done in a way that makes KDE useless (e.g. doesn't
compile; doesn't start; etc) on other platforms.

--
Aaron J. Seigo