KDE4 and KIO Fuse

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Sat Apr 8 17:06:43 CEST 2006

El Viernes, 7 de Abril de 2006 22:19, Kevin Krammer escribió:
> On Friday 07 April 2006 21:27, Iñaki wrote:
> > Hi, does anyone know if KDE4 will include the KIO Fuse?
> >   http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KIO+Fuse+Gateway
> >
> > In my opinion this could be one of the MOST important features for a good
> > desktop: the possibility of using all the power of the kioslaves in any
> > KDE or not KDE app.
> >
> > Note that a today's common problem is when the user access to a Samba
> > resource via smb kioslave and open a .odt file with OpenOffice. Because
> > OpenOffice (as any not KDE app) doesn't allow kioslaves it copies the
> > file in /tmp and uses it, so when the user wants to modify the file he
> > saves it in his local /tmp (that is terribly annoying), and he needs to
> > move it to the server and replace the old one.
> >
> > Is it really the Linux power we want to show to the world???
> > Then the response will be very easy: why in Windows is it too easy???
>
> Just to make sure I understand this correctly (I left Windows at the
> Windows 2000 stage):
> it is now possible to open SMB shares in Windows applications without
> requiring to mount them as it used to (assigning a drive letter to the
> network share)?

I think so, in fact in any Windows app the "Open/Save file" dialog allows you
to acces a SMB shared resource.

Anyway, the only important here is that ALL the Windows apps can acces to a
SMB share resource transparentely. KDE is more powerful because any KDE app
can acces to any kind of resource (smb, sftp, ftp, nfs...) with the
kioslaves, but only KDE apps can do it.

Because of it, the KIO Fuse will be the solution for this real and annoying
problem. My question is if KIO Fuse will be used in KDE 4.

--
y hasta aquí puedo leer...